Game development companies are a valuable asset to any business. They provide a wide range of services that can help in improving the game development process.
Game development companies are typically structured with three different departments:
- Art department: This is where graphics and art assets are created for the game, including characters, environments, and props.
- Programming department: This is where the programming for the game is done, which includes both coding and scripting.
- Marketing department: This is where marketing plans and strategies are made to help promote the game.
A company should have all three departments because it provides more flexibility in terms of what they can offer their customers. For example, if a company only has an art department then they won’t be able to provide their customers with programming services or marketing
What is a Game Development Company?
A game development company is an organization that creates video games. They may be a start-up or an established company, and they often have a team of developers, artists, designers, and other specialists. A game developer develops the game according to the requirements of the company’s clients. They are also responsible for creating a prototype of the game for testing purposes and to see if it is feasible for production.
In this introduction, you will learn about what a game development company is and how they work as well as some basic terms related to their business.
What are the Different Types of Game Studios and How They are Structured?
There are many different types of game studios in the world today, and they can be classified into two main categories – large scale studios and small scale studios.
Large scale game developers tend to have more staff and a larger budget than small scale studios. They also have a lot more resources in terms of development tools, people, and equipment.
Small scale game developers typically are independent companies that focus on creating smaller games for mobile devices or online platforms like Steam.
The structure of an indie company is very flexible due to the fact that they don’t have as much overhead as large-scale game developers do. This allows them to be more agile with their projects, which is why many indie companies are able to release their games on a more frequent basis than large-scale game developers can.
How to Choose the Right Game Studio for You
Choosing the right game development company is not as easy as it seems. There are a lot of things to consider when looking for the best game studio for you.
The first thing you should consider is your skillset and the type of games that you are interested in making. If you have a specific idea in mind, it will be easier for you to find the company that can help you achieve your goal. The second thing is what kind of project and budget do you have? Do they have a team size that can accommodate your needs or do they need more funding?
Once these two factors are determined, it will be easier for you to narrow down your search and find the best game developer for yourself.
What is a Good Company Structure for Your Video Games Team?
Video game development is a broad topic and has many different approaches. What works for one game studio might not be the best option for another. There are some common themes, however, that can help you determine what your ideal company structure might look like.
- Start-up Game Studios: Start-up game studios are usually small teams of two or three people who work on their own projects and ideas. They often work with outside investors to get funding and build their team of developers. This type of company structure is good if you want to grow your team in the future by hiring new developers who have experience in a specific field or if you want to create a prototype in order to gain funding from investors later on.
- Mid-Size Game Studios: Mid- size game studios are generally companies with 30-50 employees that have been around for a few years or less. They may work on their own projects and ideas, but they also tend to partner with other companies in order to meet the specific needs of each project. This company structure is good for those who want stability and know what they’re doing right out of the gate, but don’t want to give up the freedom over their ideas.
- Large Game Studios: These companies often work on a variety of different projects and ideas and have the ability to be competitive with other large game studios. This company structure is good for those who want stability, but still want to make each project their own.
Read more about the game development process and types of companies at Whimsygames Blog.